Last monday we had a 12 hour staff party at the job. Wet and Wild.
The lobster and crab was great and the drinks tasted fine. But something
must have been poisonous or maybe someone spiked my drink. Anyway I
ended up falling overboard as we docked back at the port, carrying two
cell phones, one of which was my three week old Galaxy S2, both of
them on at the time.
I was pulled up quite quickly and took out my batteries right away. The
Galaxy must have fallen out of my pocket as I changed into dry clothes.
So when I came home I did not even have it with me. Next morning, full
of regrets, I went back to the boat and found the Galaxy on the floor, still wet.
I took it home and thinking that it could not get any wetter than it
already was, I put it in a small bucket with lukewarm tap water to rinse
out any salty residue from the brackish sea water we have here. I also
added a drop of dish water detergent and shook it around for a good
while to clean out other pollutants. Rinsed out and let it simmer in fresh
water for several hours.
Later I bought a litre of destilled water and had the Samsung soak in
that for some 10 hours, before hanging it up to dry out.
For several days I maintained a routine of having the smartphone lie
in the sun inside a window during days, and at nights in an airtight
plastic bucket together with the type of silicone gel desiccants that
often come packed with electronics when you buy them new.
The following weekend I fit a new battery and tried switching the
unit on. Nothing, dead as a Dodo! Sunday evening I gave up all
hope and decided to bite the bullet and ordered a new one. It arrived
Then a girl at the job mentioned that she had had a wet cellphone
spring to life after about two months. So I made another try swithcing
the 'old one' on. And voilá, it came on! It works fine, as far as I can see.
Now I have two.
The older Ericsson plain cell phone is still dead though.