I went from frustration using 2.1-update 1 Eclair to being quite happy with 2.2 Froyo.
I went from ECLAIR.ZSJH1 (2.1-update 1) to FROYO.ZSJPD (2.2)
- SMS notification bug seems to have been fixed (when you recieve SMS messages, the notification message doesn't randomly select a sender name to show you)
- Seems generally more stable. It has yet to randomly hang/crash/reboot on me for no reason
- Without lag fix, it seems okay usable, faster than stock 2.1-update 1 SGS w/o lag fix
- GPS seems to work for me fairly well and no problems using Wi-Fi thus far
- Battery life has generally improved for me. My average of 8-9 hour daytime usage went up to roughly 13 hours. (Just running around on an average day doing what I normally do)
- Updated apps (Stock browser, TouchWiz, Market, Youtube)
- New apps (Adobe Flash, Skype, Better usage reporting and associated apps)
- Additional functions/features such as built in tethering and sharing internet (haven't used it, but nice to know I don't need to download an app for it)
- The text insert/edit cursor is a nice addition (though at times buggy)
- Google voice recognition. I never noticed it before, but I noticed it now! I hope this improves. I like being able to talk instead of typing my SMS messages.
- I love how the contact list allows for GROUPS now. I can choose which contacts to show up based on the labels I applied to them in my Google contacts
- Even though Quadrant reports a stock speed increase from 2.1->2.2 Post-lag fix, I'm scoring much less than what I was scoring with 2.1-update post lag fix (Though the numbers don't really matter too much)
- I find it is a CON that I still need to apply a lag fix to correct a problem Samsung should've corrected themselves.
- Maybe region specific. I seem to have additional bloatware now on my phone. Anybody else end up with an app called 'Press Reader'? I don't want to remove it yet, waiting to see what it does. Clicking on it pops up a 'Service will be available soon' message.
- A bit more complicated to root, and actually had some difficulty applying the lag fix a few times (OCLF would fail and I would end up losing that space in the data folder. Had to try 3 times for it to work. Each time from a factory reset, so I couldn't explain why it worked the last time and not the first few times) This isn't a big issue, but just makes novices read more.
- Some of my old programs are lagging. I have My Paper Plane 2 installed and it didn't lag for me in 2.1, but now the graphics/screen would mysteriously lag.
- Swype prediction seems odd. ECLAIR.ZSJH1 had swype v220.127.116.1102. FROYO.ZSJPD has 18.104.22.16813. Even playing with the settings, I haven't been able to have the same high accuracy prediction I had in 2.1. I don't know what's changed, and even after such a big version jump, why can't I remove words from the built in dictionary? I hate having '2morrow' randomly come out when I just want the number '2'. The swype tracing also seems laggier to me. Anyone else?
- the Text editing cursor sometimes jumps around and inserts words in weird ways. Often when I double tap to select a word and I write to replace it, it'll just insert in between the word making me delete the whole mess anyway.