Can’t get connected to Kies? Try these tips first :
1) Use the Samsung micro USB or a micro USB for another smart phone (like Blackberry) – this ensures the cable handles data
2) Use the Samsung launcher – Kies won’t connect from another launcher like AWDLauncher or Launcher Pro
3) Check that your USB settings are set to either Samsung Kies or Ask on connection (my preference)
4) Check you are using the latest version of Kies (for Windows only) available at Samsung
5) Check that the driver is installed correctly by starting Kies and selecting install driver from the Tools menu. Alternatively you can delete the driver using device manager (Windows)
6) Check there are no long file extensions (indicated by flashing screen) by using the program here
. Make sure to check your internal storage and your external card.
7) Factory reset your device to ensure there are no conflicts with loaded programs.
If none of this helps it's time to start reading the rest of the posts